Because my mother was raised by her grandparents and aunts, the Martin family is what I thought of as my ancestry when I was growing up. "The Aunts" Sarah, Addie, and Clara lived in the family house in Farragut, and that was where we went for family dinners and holidays. Aunt Sarah was the schoolteacher and taught in the same classroom for something like 60 years. And she knitted. Mittens. For all of the great-nieces and nephews. Aunt Addie had Bell's Palsy most of her life so she shook continuously and was hard to understand when she talked. As kids, we did not find it attractive watching her eat. And Aunt Clara was the youngest, the diary keeper, the baseball fan, the designated driver of their Model A Ford, and "the most fun." None of the Aunts ever married. Aunt Clara intended to marry but her beau died in an influenza epidemic. When she died 50 years later she wanted the same scriptures and hymns in her service as had been used in his. She wrote her Autobiography as a teenager.



I am not writing this for others to read and I intend no other eyes than mine shall see these pages. I am not writing a history of my life because it has been so interesting or the events more important than those of other lives, but simply for the practice. Indeed, so far my life has been uneventful and very prosaic.

I was born in the country 5 miles from the little town of Farragut in Southwestern Iowa, the finest state in the union and that portion the finest in the state. My father Richard Martin had come over from Ireland some 25 or 30 years before I was born. He lived in the state of New York some four years employed as a farmer. Coming to the city of Philadelphia, he worked at carpet weaving and other things for some years. While considering the Quaker City the most pleasant he thought he could obtain more money in coming west and so the year 1856 found him in Kewanee Ill. Here he met and married my mother Barbara Leggett, who was also of Philadelphia.

The rebellion broke out and my father leaving 2 little ones and his wife in the care of his father-in-law, enlisted. After serving one year he was wounded at Champion's Hill just before the glorious siege of Vicksburg.

In 1871, coming to Iowa he rented for a few years and then bought the farm on which I was born. I am glad that I was born on a farm and that I lived 13 years of my life there. Of the first 3 years I remember nothing. I suppose I was much like other babies except perhaps that the other children of the family were so much older than myself. The oldest being 19 years older and the one next older than I, 11 years older than myself. I think I missed a great deal in my life by being so much younger than my sisters and brothers. Of course I was the pet of the household and had things pretty much my own way, but still there was not the companionship of children which I so much craved. When I was about a year old my second sister married and after a while she brought home with her 2 little nephews, one 4 and one 6 years younger than myself. They lived quite close and so I saw them often, somewhat making up for the lack of younger brothers and sisters. I was plain "Clara" with them until the last few years when they are beginning to say "Aunt Clara." I suppose it was because I was always their playmate.

The earliest I can remember was a visit to my grandparents in Illinois when I was but 3 years old. I can still remember the old house, the position of the rooms, the big broad chimney in the kitchen, the old fashioned windlass to draw water, the old horse and the neat parlor with the red and black rug. One morning I wished to wipe the dishes for grandma, and so climbing on the chair I began the work. I patted grandma on the cheek in my childish way and said "Grandma how soft your cheeks are." At this mamma and grandma laughed and I hid my face in the dish towel. I also remember how glad and surprised I was to see my father at the depot when we reached home, for I had not realized how near home we were until we saw him.

I think it was perhaps my fourth or fifth Christmas that I received a book among other things and was much disappointed in it for as I said crying, "There isn't anything in it." It was explained to me that it was a scrapbook and was to be filled with pictures.

Our nearest neighbor had a little girl a year younger than myself, and from the time we were able to go the quarter of a mile alone we were together as much as possible. Sometimes not gaining our mother's consent to visit each other, we would run off but were punished upon our return. One queer thing, I always thought Gracie's mother's cookies were the best, while my mother's cookies were more to her liking. But each of us could eat our share of either.

One day while visiting school, a blind blew shut and startled me. I said "What is that?" Having been told that I must not talk out loud in school, I was much mortified and to this day can remember how I felt as my head went down on the desk. My first teacher was my sister and a hard time of it she must have had. I do not remember but have been told that I was very bad. Made faces at the children, danced about, did anything to gain their attention while I was in class. But learn I would not, and so for a punishment I was taken out of school and taught at home. I was spoiled. I was the pet of everyone.

Being very small for my age I used to be carried about on the men's heads or tossed about in every kind of way. When I grew older and went to school, the older girls carried me about and I was continually with them until I was 8 or 9 years old when I refused to be babied any longer.

One very pleasant time in my life while I was out of school on account of my misbehavior, was the week I spent at Hillsdale. My mother and father went to visit a week among friends and I was sent with my eldest sister to her boarding place to go to school while they were gone. There I acted as badly as usual, gaining the attention of the whole school. One night while there, my sister left me in her room and went away for a few minutes telling me she would be back to put me to bed. While she was gone I got into the bed, covered up my head, arranging the covers so that I could not be seen beneath them. On her return, my sister looked for me behind all the furniture even going out of the room. Finally I was able to contain myself no longer and burst out laughing. Then I was discovered.

Another thing I well remember was the kindness received at the hands of a boy 13 or 14 years of age. It is a well known fact that boys in general of that age do not delight in entertaining 6 year-old girls, but the evening I spent at his home I shall never forget nor shall I forget the boy although he is in an insane asylum now, made insane from over-study.

The next fall I went back to school to study. There in the old school house I formed many friendships. Among the first was a girl even smaller than I was although much stronger. She would come and stay all night with me and delight the family by her "tussels" with me in which the game was to put each other down on the sofa. I was the one who was generally forced to be pushed down upon it. She is still very small, but retains her strength still, for she has plowed corn for her father and does a great deal of heavy work.

When I was seven years old I went with mama and sister Addie to visit my aunt in Nebraska. But before this I want to tell how I treated papa's hired men. I was a great talker when I was small (I suppose that is the reason I am not a great talker now) and of course had a great deal to say to the hired men. There was one bashful fellow though who would not talk to anyone, not even me, although I gave him ample opportunity by beginning the conversation. One day he had been cleaning out a well and I asked him if he had finished yet. No answer. So I repeated the question. Still no answer. I thought I would make it a little louder this time but finally said "Are you deaf?" Only a slight smile. "Are you dumb?" Still a broader smile. I was very impertinent but still the fellow thought it was very cute and told his cousin about it afterwards. Well I got on finely with the men and was a great favorite with them until my tongue got me into mischief.

There was one man who was very peculiar but who thought a great deal of me. The family often talked about his peculiarities and din't like his manner very well. One night he was lying by the path that lead to the gate as I was going to see some of my girl friends off and as I came back he said just to tease me "Those girls don't like you." I told him I knew better but he stuck to it. So finally, exasperated, I said, "We don't like you either." He said "Who doesn't?" I answered, "Sarah doesn't because she said so." Addie happened to hear the remarks some distance off and I was called in. But the man left the next day. I wasn't at home when he left, but he gave mamma a little present for me.

This was a day or two before we left for Nebraska. I was most impressed by the towns of prarie dogs which I saw along the railway and the Indian school which I visited. I was afraid of them and from hearing stories about Indians I feared for my scalp.

After school hours I was accustomed quite often to go to a neighbors to play. The girl was 5 or 6 years older than myself, and the 2 boys were also a few years older. The boys had a contrivance made from 4 cultivator wheels with a fence board between the two front and two hind wheels to sit on. This was used for coasting downhill. All four of us were on, the brakes off, and we were going at a pretty lively rate when I began to feel myself about to lose my balance. I yelled "Whoa!" But as the thing could not be stopped, off I tumbled. A wheel ran over my foot but fortunately I was not otherwise hurt, only a little frightened.

I used to be greatly frightened by storms and would always when at home, sit on my siter Sarah's lap until the lightning was over. But sometimes a storm would come when we were at school. I well remember one 21st of May, the day before our school picnic, the terrible storm that came up. The wind blew a perfect gale and the rain fell in sheets. Mill Creek ran a short ways from the school house and when the storm was over, the creek was level full and a portion of the two bridges washed away. Papa's big corn crib was blown off it's foundation and other damage was done. A year from that date another storm equal to if not worse than the first, came.

How I used to love to walk down through our old bluegrass pasture after a rain in the spring and gather dandelions. The spring before I was 11, great changes happened. My sister and her family were going to live in Nebraska and my only brother was to be married. Of course I knew it was going to happen, but never fully realized how much it meant until after it was over. I used to be rather jealous of my brother and thought he ought to stay more at home with me instead of going to see another girl. I told him to ask her if she wouldn't let him stay at home with me sometimes, and he said to write and ask her and he would deliver the note. So write I did, and received the answer which didn't suit me exactly. It said "How would you like it if I kept him all the the time?" They used to say I was jealous of his baby boy, but I think they were mistaken, for I have 5 nephews now, and Stuart is my favorite.

It was about this time that a teacher of mine and I had a falling out. The school were spelling down and for some reason or other I didn't want to spell. We had quite a time and finally she threw a book at me and shook me so that she tore my lace collar. I kept that lace collar for 5 or 6 years, and have never forgiven that teacher yet and never will, even though I live to be a hundred years old.

One of our neighbors taught our school one winter and one day the older ones decided to lock him out while he was at dinner. Accordingly, all the children came indoors and the windows and doors were locked. When he discovered what was going on after trying to make them open the door by threats etc., he went home after hammer and nails and boards and was going to nail us in. Finally they made a compromise and we smaller ones were released. But half the afternoon was gone before studies were resumed.

The time until I was 15 years of age was spent much alike each day. I had had the whooping cough, mumps, chicken pox, etc. But finally the children dropped out of school; some to attend higher schools, some to work, and others whose parents moved away until I was the oldest girl in school and recited a great many lessons by myself. Then came the question of my going away to school. I did not want to go at first for I do not easily become acquainted with people and thought it would be lonesome. But finally I came to Farragut. I did not like it the first year at all. I made no intimate friendships and the out of school I spent in study or reading or fancy work in my room. I boarded where my sister did so it was not so lonesome as it might have been.

I had some very funny experiences though. I slept in the room above my sister's and her "insufferable" room, and their stove pipe ran through my room. It was Sunday night and my sister, the landlady and myself were alone int he house. I had gone upstairs for my hat and while up there I thought I smelled tobacco smoke in the room. I came down and told Sarah and we went part way up the stairs again. She could smell it and so could Mrs. Stickler. As there had been no one in the house but ladies for 2 or 3 days, we concluded someone was up there or had been during the day as the house had not been occupied all day. Sarah and I went to church and Mrs. Stickler went and told her son to come over. He brought his wife and father-in-law, and as soon as the stair door was open said, "I know what it is." "The wood smoke from below has escaped from the pipe." And he pushed the pipe into the chimney where it had come out. After that whenever I smelled tobacco smoke I pushed in the pipe and it was gone. We had hard work to convince the homefolks that tobacco smoke smelled like wood smoke.

Among the boarders there was one young man who was in my class at school. He studied all his lessons out loud and practiced the most oratorial pieces in the sitting room. He intended to become a Christian preacher. He went to school about half the year and then went away to school. He now preaches and goes to school. I mention him because he may become a great preacher. He was very quiet, never having anything to do with the boys of his own age.

The town was very dull that year. I do not wonder I did not like it. Before the year was out, my father began to speak of leaving the farm with more certainty. I had never given my consent when it was talked of for 2 or 3 years before and put such a damper on the subject it would not be mentioned again for some weeks. My father was no longer able to do the work of the farm and I began to see it would be the best for them. So I said that I wouldn't say anything more against it and they began to plan to come to town. A house was built there in the summer, but during all the time of building I would not go near it and so did not see it until we came to clean it. I hope I will not have many new houses to clean! And then the moving! We never knew until we commenced to pack, how much we owned. The possessions had been accumulating for the last 35 years. Some of them valueless except for old association sake. The last two weeks were spent in packing and receiving visitors who waited till the last minute to come before we went away. A rain prevented our first days moving. After two loads were ready to start, it decided to rain and so these loads were place in barns until the next day. Our beds and dishes packed, we lived that night in picnic style. The next day we got moved and finally settled. Then came the long list of callers. We cleaned about two weeks before we came and we had a few neighbors come in at that time. From that time till Christmas, callers came most every day.

It was since I came to live in Farragut that I came to like it. Until now (1889) I do not know that you could persuade me to go back to the farm.

The following is Clara Martin's account of her journey from Farragut, Iowa to Omaha, Nebraska to see the "Exposition of 1898."

June 2, 1898 Started from Farragut at 7:25 a.m. after a rain of four days with clouds in the sky and high water on every hand. Waited in Shenandoah two hours and a half for the K&W train. Joe C. tried to be very kind and officious. Arrived in Red Oak at 11:45. No one to meet us, no where to go. The yard master Mr. Marshall Smith, kindly telephoned to all the people we knew of but could rouse no one. He showed us to a private boarding house. Two doors we could not lock and I could not sleep a wink. Walked uptown through mud an ankle deep. After the morning session we were assigned to Mr. & Mrs. E.M. Carey. The family consists of Mr. Carey and his wife. They have a very nice house and we are royally entertained.

July 26, 1898 Drove to Malvern in Will's buggy to see G. off and then on to Wabash to catch the train. It being seven hours late, we went to Will's for dinner.

July 27, 1898 Went to the Exposition and visited the Agriculture of South Texas exhibit, the most interesting. Animals, shells, etc. Most interesting. Visited the Government exhibit, the Fishery Department being perhaps the most interesting. We tried "shooing" the fish to make them move. Indian exhibit. Gave my last penny for a cup of water for both of us and stopped to rest in the Dawson County retreat. Went through the Manufacturers where we ate a pancake and drank chocolate. Several fancy rooms, dresses, and laces. The selling of cheeses and jewelry seems to be in all the buildings. Machinery and Electricity. Tried to see the x-ray exhibit, but the crowd was too big. Mines and Mining. Liberal Arts. Pianos playing, gramaphones etc. M. wanted to hear "Keep off the Grass." Walked through the midway. Lost my lead pencil and it makes me mad. In the Art building we saw several paintings that struck my eye. Among them a picture of an old negro man and woman and "Charles the Bold," a picture 22 x 24 feet, and an Egyptian picture which was intensely blue.

July 28, 1898 Came at 8:30 and passed through the Liberal Arts and Mining Buildings. Visited Montgomery & Ward. Also the Wisconsin building where we are sitting in lovely chairs and writing this account on a mahogany table. Illinois building. South room is red carpet and green paper with rattan chairs and lovely pictures. The north room is the opposite as to carpet and paper. From the balcony the Missouri River can be seen. This is a lovely building. Nebraska building. With a large court and fountain in the center and in one corner a G.A.R. exhibit of old relics, spinning wheel, plates, etc. At the east end the Nebraska sod house. Minnesota. Made from logs. Furnished with rustic chairs, tables, floors made from rough pine. Fireplaces, hunting trophies abound. We hear two boys say "Let us go where they go." At the Kansas building where there were no exhibits, we turned the tables. At last here at the New York, we have escaped them. Rode on the electric car. My first auto ride. Ate dinner at the Nebraska sod house and took a tour of the Pullman car. Very fine for wedding tours. We went to see the "Destruction of the Maine." The stars twinkling in the sky at Havana Harbor, there comes a crash, a flash of fire and the Maine is a black hulk. A steam boat runs out to it and finally morning dawns. The old plantation. The negroes danced and sang and had a cake walk. The plantation houses were miserable things if this is a fair representation. Hagenback Trained Wild Animal Show. Elephant that can walk on a barrel with two feet or all feet at once, play a french harp and bows. Two little Japanese girls are in here enjoying themselves and mimicking the performances. A girl in red dancing in the midst of three lions. A man with two jaguars which seemed to be rather savage and not inclined to do as he wanted. Three lion, see-saw, climb a ladder six or seven feet and walk a plank. The man who had them in charge had to whip them and fired a revolver at them which frightens me very much if not them. After looking at the "shoot the shoots" I decided to try. I dreaded to come down but as it was the only way to come down, I shut my eyes and did not know I was near down till I struck the water. Stopped at the Moorish Palace and saw wax figures of Romeo and Juliet, a sleeping lady, etc. Supper at the Sod House again. Had a gondola ride while the concert was going on. The gondolier tried to beat the gasoline launches and did. He was a foreigner. Just as we came home we saw the fountain in colored lights.

July 29, 1898 At 7:00 p.m. M., Jennie and I were going to go to Plattsmouth. Mr. Chas. Edgar Taylor and mr. Earl Kendall wanted to go and we showed them the way. After we got on the boat they came and were with us all the evening. In the hall before we started, Mr. Kendall started towards me for his hat and I jumped. "Excuse me," he said, "you are nervous." They have the worst sounding whistle and all the rest laughed because Mr. Kendall and I covered up our ears. He and I discovered we know each other's friends in Monroe, Nebr. About that time Jennie and Chas. Taylor were getting warm at the pipe and Mamie looking off across the water. We got to guessing ages and Mr. Kendall guessed mine to a tee. I told him my birthday was tomorrow. He is 19 and Mr. Taylor 24. Coming home Mr. Kendall walked with Mamie and me. Mr. Taylor with Jennie. Mr. Kendall said "There is his place." I said "Whose place?" He said "Why your Jim's place." It was like a brand on which was printed "Jim's Place." I told Mamie she told him but both said she didn't. How he knew I don't know. In all we had a capital time.

July 30, 1898 My birthday. I'm 19 years old. Got up early to see the boys off. I don't suppose we will see them again. Came to the grounds at 9:00 a.m. looking for souvenirs. Stopped in the Minnesota parlor to rest and the gentleman in charge gave us each a map of the Exposition, then got us ribbons to put around them. Went to the Moorish Palace. I expected to see mirrors but there was nothing but wax figures. Got our souvenir rings and came home at noon. Goodbye to the Exposition. We start for Anderson at 4 o'clock. Came in on the train and caught a ride with some of Mamie's friends out to Mrs. W's. Mrs. W. much surprised to see us. Mamie's telescope did not come on the train and as I had ten dollars in it I'll have to stay until she gets it. July 31, 1898 Slept nearly all day.

August 1, 1898 Ed French and John Dickey were here for dinner while only Mamie and I were here. I had a fever and went to bed.

August 2, 1898 Read all day. Went to Mr. Greenwoods in the evening. Mr. Greenwood and his sister sang for us.

August 3, 1898 I am going home today. I'll miss the Exposition.

RICHARD MARTIN (Clara's Father)

Richard Martin, aged 21 years, of Ballygawley, County Tyrone Ireland, left that country September 1851 for America. He left Belfast on a sailing vessel which took five weeks to cross. They encountered a storm at sea and threatened mutiny between the Catholic Irish and Protestants. They landed in New York.

His mother had many cousins in America and he began to look some of them up. At Sloansville, S'coharie County, he inquired for a blacksmith by the name of Lorry, but learned that he was dead. He was told if he would walk 2 miles out in the country to Gardner's farm he would perhaps learn of the widow and they would keep him all night. He was very tired but walked out and found an Englishman milking, who told him Mr. Gardner had gone to New York, but that Mrs. Gardner was at home. It was a large white house surrounded by woods. Mrs. Gardner came to the door. She said "You are from the old country?" "You are the son of Nancy Clark." Although Mrs. Gardner had been in America 30 years and had never seen the young man before, she knew him by his resemblance to his mother, her cousin. He stayed there 2 days, then on to another relative by the name of John Vanderhoof.

He hired out on a farm for $3 per month. He worked for Abe Cook 7 months for $9 per month, near Ransellorville. Later he visited his brother James in Canada, and came back to New York with the intentions of going home to Ireland. A friend persuaded him to go to Philadelphia with him first and there he found many old school friends and never returned to Ireland.

He worked at weaving for Jason Miller who was his future wife's brother-in-law. He married Barbara Ann Leggett April 1, 1858, in a double wedding with her sister Eliza and Joseph Duft, in Weathersford, Ill. He and his family moved to Iowa in 1872. While in Ireland he lived on a farm and continued in this occupation until he retired and moved to Farragut Iowa in 1895. He died May 9, 1924 at the age of 94 years and 2 days, his wife having preceded him by 1 month and 27 days. He had only been ill about a week and most suppose his death was mostly grief.


The following is a transcript of Richard Martin's diary he carried through the Civil War. He apparently used it mostly as a calendar, so many entries only list the date and day of the week. I have omitted sections where these are the only entries. The spelling is his, which makes it difficult to establish what some of the names mentioned actually were. The original diary is now in the possession of myself and kept in dad's Masonic bible. When my house burned in 1968 I discovered books don't burn well, so that's why it's in there.

I must say good night. May God bless you. Kiss the babes and give friendly remembrances to all family and other friends. Every blessing to you and ours in time and eternity.

1 overcoat $7.20 1 dress coat 6.71 1 cap .63 1 pair pants 3.63 2 shirts 1.76 2 pair drawers 1.49 2 pair socks .52 1 blanket 2.95 1 hat 1.60 amount 23.80 13

October 1862 (someone's name I think) brought in a nigger and a mule.

14 Nothing speshul

15 The first time on picket duty.

16 Heard of Atkins death and the death of C. Pyles.

17 Went to wash. Saw holly for the first time.

19 Saw a cotton gin. 20 Saw a nigger dance and was mutch amased with it.

21 Was guarding General Hurtbut's (Hurlburt ?) headquarters 22, 23, 24 gurillas

25 Cold snow. 2 1/2 inches.

26 Marching order this morning. The boys are all getting redy. expect a fight at boliver.

S Jackson oct 27 Getting out timber and building our shanty.

Tuesday 28 Built our chimney and has got a fire to night. It feels very comfortable.

Wednesday 29 Finished up our shanty. Got marching orders about 7 oc and counted wounded about 8

Thursday 30 On picket duty. Saw a old lady about sundown. She was 65 years old. Had to shough her pass. She said she had 3 gransons in the reble army.

October 31, 1862 Thomas Doughman dies about 12 oc. He was buried about 5 in the evening. November 1, 1862 We have got more orders to be redy at 3 oclock in the morning.

Sunday November 2, 1862 Came from Jackson to boliver. The poorest looking country I ever seed. Sandy soil, the rest of it swamp.

Monday 3 We left Boliver for our first march on foot. Marched about 10 miles. i was awful tired. feet all raw. Tuesday 4 1862 We had a verry hard march. got into la grange. i was guard of the bigg waggon.

Wednesday 5th We are in la grange there. Was about 1000 rebels here yesterday.

Thursday 6 Friday 7 on picket. it was a cold day. quite a frost that night. Saturday 8 22 sisesh prisoners brought in.

Sunday 9 8 Sisesh prisoners brought in in the forenoon and 10 in the afternoon.

Wednesday 26 S Oliver died

Thursday 27 Thanksgiving day. We got marching orders to be redy next morning at 8 oc

November 29 1862 we marched from Lagrange to cold water town 10 miles. 30th from cold water to cold water crick 12 miles

December 1st 1862 from cold water crick to holly springs 6 miles Monday from holly springs to holly springs crick 6 miles

Tuesday from holly springs crick to tally hatchee crick 8 miles

Wednesday from tally hatchee crick to oxford 13 miles

Saturday December 5th 1862 Nothing particular but the boys living high on fresh pork and chic peas. on picket guard. had found 4 Springfield muskets and one double barrel shot gun Sunday on picket. found 2 guns.

Thursday 11 Marched from oxford. 12 miles

Friday 12 in camp

Saturday 13 we had a speech from colonal Howe and one from colonal (Shoinis?)

December 14th 1862 hear of the death of M. Hulbrick.

Wednesday 17th the 800th cavalry came into camp after being out on 9 days scouts with a battery of cannon 3 feet long. did not see any rebels.

Thursday 18th I helped take about 2000 dollars worth of cotton out of a log shanty.

Sunday 21st Rumor in camp that there are fighting in Jackson.

Monday 22 Got marching orders and marched from Yorknataphia crick to Oxford 12 miles

Tuesday 23 In oxford on picket duty

Wednesday 24 Marched from Oxford 2 miles north of Tallahatchie 16 miles.

Thursday 25 Camped in the timber.

Friday 26 Cavelry skirmishing on our right 2 wagons taken and 10 men. We got orders to be redy at a minuts notice.

Saturday 27 2 regments of inf. and a batery of 2 cannon.

Wednesday 31 On picket guard Tuesday January 1st, 1863 Come off picket guard. A new year. 10 of the boys had gone out foreging. Saw a few...

Friday 2nd rained

Saturday 3rd Nothing speshul

Sunday 4th The whole reg went out a foreging 13 miles north west of the Tallahatchee

Monday 5th Marched from Tallahatchee to holly springs 18 miles.

Tuesday 6th To Cold Water crick 8 miles

Wednesday January 7th 1863 Marched from Cold Water to La Grange 20 miles

Thursday 8th Marched from La Grange 5 mi out on the Memphis marshrode to guard the marshrode camp Jenny Friday 9th On patrol. Went once down the rode. Got relieved at 4 o'clock. Left at 6 o'clock and marched 6 miles to Moscow. Rained like thunder. Slept in a shed in a bakery.

Saturday 10th Marched 6 miles toward Memphis and camped

Sunday 11th Marched to Colierville 12 miles.

Sunday Moved 1 mile east of town to guard a bridge

Thursday 15th It snowed about 12 inches deep

Friday 16th A pretty hard frost that night.

Saturday 17th On patrol

Sunday 18th Rained all night

Tuesday 20th Marched from Collierville 3 miles west of Germentown.

Wednesday 21st Marched within 2 miles of albany. got a letter from Barbara

Thursday 22nd Usual camp life

Tuesday 27th Went to Memphis

Monday February 9th, 1863 Recieved a letter from my wife.

Tuesday 10th Sined the payroll

Saturday 14th Got paid 22 dollars and 10 cents. John Potter and Hugh Carson got here at 2 o'clock.

Sunday 15th Sent home 17 dollars by express.

Wednesday 18th John Potter and Hugh Carson left for home. i sent a letter

Friday 20th Went aboard of the boat

Saturday 21st Laid over in the river at Memphis

Sunday 22nd Started down the river

Monday 23rd Landed at Lake Providance. Move up the lake about 4 miles.

Tuesday February 24th 1863 Putting up our camps about 4 miles up the lake. Nothing speshul.

Saturday 28th I started to work on the bioo

Sunday March 1st 1863 Come in to camp off the bioo

Thursday 5th Was on picket on the bioo Louisiana

Tuesday March 10 1863 Writing a letter

Wednesday 11th Recieved a letter

Thursday 12th Wrote a letter home

Saturday 14th Sent home a coat

Sunday 15th Got a bord of the Henry. Nothing speshul

Monday 16th Lay on the river at Lake Providance. Left the river into the lake at sundown.

Tuesday 17th Moved up the river from Lake Providence about 5 miles

Wednesday 18th The boys are fixing their tents and cleaning

March 19th, 1863 Friday 20th Got a letter

Sunday 22nd Wrote home to my folks

Monday 23rd Heard hevvy firing toward Vicksburg

Tuesday 24th Got a letter

Wednesday 25th Ansered it home

Thursday 26th The brigade band got here this morning

Friday 27th Nothing speshul

Saturday 28th Got new endfield guns today

Sunday 29th Cold and disagreeable

Monday 30th Still cold

Tuesday 31st Writing home

Wednesday April 1st 1863 Got a letter

Thursday 2nd Nothing speshul

Friday 3rd Wrote a letter home to my wife

Saturday 4th Singed the payrol and James H. Whalley died

Sunday 5th The boys went down to Lake Providence to burry James H. Whalley

Monday 6th Recieved a letter from my wife. George Jarmen got to the regment. All the capts and lieuts standing brig guard

Tuesday 7th 100 men firing up the camp

Wednesday 8th On picket at the ferry landing. Adjutent General Thomas of the United States was here to comishon officers for a nigger regment. Made a speech.

Saturday April 11, 1863 Got paid 2 months pay 52 dollars. Sent home 45 dollars.

Sunday 12th Wrote a letter home about sending the money $45 with Mr. Fosket. On camp guard

Monday 13th Hurlbuts divishion went down the river. 12 boat lodes.

Tuesday 14th Oficers of the 20th on guard duty.

Wednesday 15th Rober More has got his discharge

Thursday 16th Robert More left Perries landing for home. He sent the money by express. Stephensons brigade went down river.

Friday 17th 5 gunboats is reported in to run the blockage and 2 transports at Vicksburg heard hevvy canonading last night.

Saturday 18th On picket guard. Was relieved about 3 oc. Got on bord the boat Sioux City

Sunday 19th Got down to Milligens Bend. Marched about a mile out west and camped. Had to tie up the boat on acount of a rain storm on the night of the 18th.

Monday 20th Moved our tents twice. Some of the boys got new jackets. Dug a well.

Tuesday 21st Maild a letter Tues morning. Was out on batalion drill. William McPherson and I bricked a well. Got a letter from home.

Wednesday 22nd Had grand review. Govorner Yeats was here. 2 men taken out of our regt to run the blockade. There wer 70 last night taken out of A and B, 21 out of our co.

Thursday 23 Wrote a letter home. Copper went to run the blockade. Came back alright.

Friday 24th Two brothers of the Young Mens Christian Assosiation visited our brigade today. Distributed bym books and other religious reding. Marsh has gone home and Colonal Smith comans the brigad. There names are Randels and Brunell.

Saturday 25th Got marching orders. Left camp about 10 or 11 oc. Marched to Richmond about 14 miles. Pretty warm. Collonel Howes horse hurt.

Sunday 26th Marched from about 15 miles. Saw a good many negros. Some of the old women would say god bless you chillen. Went into camp about 2 oc then moved 2 miles further. Heard there was fighting across the river.

Monday April 27th 1863 Marched about 12 miles. It rained almost all day. Awful muddey. Felt tired. Went on picket in and old shed.

Tuesday 28th Marched about 12 miles that night. 4 miles up the river and around Lake St. Joseph. Saw some splendid plantation corn fields all the way along.

Thursday 30th Marched about 4 miles down the levvy of (?) Grand Gulf. Could see the rebels acrost the river with a spy glass. Can see the rebels on horses going down the bank of the river while we are waiting to cross the river. We can here canonading up the river. Crost the river about 3 oc. Gov. Yeats and Mr. Washburn made a speech.

May 1st 1863 Left the landing about 7 oc anoc and marched to about 1 oc and unslung napsacks and fell into line of battel behind the 31st Ill. About 4 oc Cap Potter got wounded and about 5 oc made a charge and drove the rebels and took a good many prisoners on our way to Port Gibson rebels kild and wounded and prisoners 1000. Maj General Tracy kild. Camped within one and a half miles of Port Gibson.

May 2nd 1863 Marched into Port Gibson. Stacked arms in town. Had a good time of it. The boys helped themselves to sugar. Marched 6 miles stopped to wrest. Found 3 or 4 wagon load of reble pork. Started about sun down. Marched 5 miles and camped on Bouys Ferry.

Sunday 3rd Marched for Vicksburg via Grand Gulf. Went about a mile when the rebels threw a few shels. We ware all formed into line of battle. March about half a mile. Our schirmishers drove them. Move again about 12. Camped at 10 night.

Monday 4th In camp near the Little Black River. Our advance had a srimish with the rebels. We dismounted 3 of their cannon. Wrote a letter home to my wife.

Tuesday 5th Took 100 and 40 rebel prisoners. Laying in camp nere Black river.

Wednesday 6th Got a mail. Got a letter from my wife.

Thursday 7th Got marching orders with 3 days rations. Marched about 5 miles up Black River

Friday 8th Went to Grand Gulf with a wagon train.

Saturday 9th Marching orders. Marched from Black Crick about 8 miles.

Sunday 10th Marched about 9 miles. Had eggs for supper

Monday May 11, 1863 Marched about 9 miles and camped.

Tuesday 12th Got marching orders. Marched about 8 miles when the rebels pitched into us with an awful force. We had a hard battel for about 4 hours. It looked rather hard on our side in the first part of the battel. Wounded in camp A 5 men. Company F 2 men slightly. Camped in Reymon.

Wednesday 13th Marched to Clinton 10 miles.

Thursday 14th Marched on Jackson and took it about 3 oc. Sherman on our right tooke the town. Quinbeys division in the front had a hard fight.

Friday 15th Marched from Jackson 7 miles east of Clinton. Days march 16 miles north.

Saturday 16th Marched about 6 or 7 miles when we got into the battal of Champions Hill. Fell on line of battle about 12 oc. I got wounded about 3 oc. Our regment tooke about 300 prisoners and 2 pieces of cannon.

Sunday 17th In the hospital. The docters cutting limbs off and dressing wounds all day. Wounded in camp F6 and in camp A4.

Monday 18th In the hospital. Went around to see the boys. It was a hard looking sight. Wounded in every shape you could think.

Tuesday 19th Left Champions Hill hospitle to go to the river. Walked about 8 miles to Edwards Station. Rode in a ox waggon 3 miles and camped.

Wednesday 20th Come about 10 miles and camped. Had green peas for supper.

Thursday 21st Come about 6 or 8 miles. Camped at divishion head quarters hospitle. Saw some of the boys of our regment. They said we had sharp shoters out of every regt amost and 9 Indiens out of the 19th were knocking everything that showed his head of a reble.

Friday May 22nd 1863 Heavy cannonading this morning. The fighting continued all day. There is a good many wounded comming in all the time. Samuel McBride wounded.

Saturday 23rd Still continuing the battle. Not mutch fighting to day. A good many brought in that was wounded yesterday. Their wounds was worsened.

Sunday 24th I left for the Yazoo River. Got there about noon. Reported our men was going to blow up the reble fort.

Monday 25th Got to Youngs Point this morning. Went up the river to Millikens Bend (or beach)

Tuesday 26th Got washed this morning and clean shirt and drawers at Van Buren hospitle. Still fighting at Vicksburg

Wednesday 27th Mager White give the hospitle boys a lecture this morning about fishing. Sent a letter home this morning.

Thursday 28th Nothing speshul

Sunday June 7th, 1863 Had a fight at Milliksen Bend with a band of Texan gurillas and 2 black union regt. Friday 12th About 8 or 10 confed soldiers left camp and went up the river this morning.

Saturday 13th Still fighting at Vicksburg. I can here the morters this morning.

Tuesday 16th Wrote a letter home to my wife

Wednesday June 24th, 1863 Writing a letter home to my wife.

Thursday July 2nd, 1863 Went into the hospitle to (illegible)

Sunday 5th Wrote home to my wife Monday 13th Got my discharge papers made out.

Sunday 21st Wrote home to my wife.

Tuesday August 11th, 1863 Got my discharge.


WILLIAM MARTIN II (Richard's Father)

Seven children: Sarah Jane, who married George Patterson and stayed on the family farm near Balleygawley, County Tyrone, Ulster, Ireland. She had three sons, George, William, and Mark (who corresponded with Richard II in 1910 - at that time he was still on the family farm, and very disturbed with his uncle Richard for never having written any of the family for over 40 years after he left Ireland. It is apparent from his letters that Richard and his sister Sarah Jane had been quite close as children, and he couldn't understand the lack of communication. He mentions his mother and grandmother crying when they spoke of Richard, thinking him dead somewhere in America.

Mark Patterson had two sons and 10 daughters. Mernym who also came to the U.S. She had three daughters: Martha Jane, Sarah (who came to the U.S.), and Annie (who married someone named McCartney and lived in Cincinnati at 32482 Hillside Ave.) William III had one son William and one daughter Sarah. John III who moved back to Scotland and had two sons Robert and Richard. James II who went to Canada in 1847 had two daughters Lizzie (Gillespie) and Ann (McCroy), and two sons John IV, and William James. Thomas, born in 1832, moved to somewhere in the U.S in 1850. Stuart, born 1836, died 1845. A letter to Faye Tuepker (John Newton's daughter) dated May 14, 1969 says the following: "Your letter inquiring about distant relatives was recently handed to me and in reply I can only supply you with very little information. We in Ireland unfortunately neglect to keep family records and consequently only the very old people are usually the only source of such information. You mentioned Mark Patterson Tirnaska, Ballygawley Co. Tyrone. He was my grandfather and he died as far as I know in 1934. He had 2 sons and 10 daughters. One son Mervyn died in his early twenties. The other son, George, was my father and he died in Oct. last year (1968) at age 80. Of the 10 daughters of Mark Patterson there are 4 living in the USA and 2 in Tirnaskea Ballygawley. I passed your letter to my two aunts living at Tirnaskea, Misses Sarah and Emma Patterson and they will probably write to you. The Martin family at Derghinea(?) Ballygawley, have all passed away. I'm sorry that my letter is so short, If I can be of any help in tracing relatives please let me know and I will do my best. Yours sincerely, Roland Patterson I am sending you the addresses of two of my sisters in USA. Mrs. Ellan Sassman 327 Ewing St. Princeton N.J. 08540 and Mrs. J. Hawks 4578 Manhattan College Parkway New York, N.Y.

BARBARA ANN LEGGETT (Wife of Richard Martin)


Born 14-May-1839, in Ransellorville, NY, died 12-Mar-1924, in Farragut, Ia. She lived her first five years in the the 3-story house where she was born. Each story opened out on the ground or side of rock on which it was built. They lived on the top floor and came out at the back. Each story had water piped from the rock. When she was 5, the family moved to Philadelphia where she lived until she was 16, then they came west to Weathersfield, Illinois where her father worked as a weaver, and Barbara learned book binding. When she left that work, the lady she worked for took a gold ring from her finger and gave it to her. Barbara remained very fond of reading until her death in 1924. Barbara was very short, and the family joke for years was that although she was an immaculate housekeeper, the breadwarmer atop her woodburning kitchen stove was always dirty because she was too short to see it. When she married Richard Martin it was a double wedding with her sister Eliza who married Mr. James Duff. They made their home in Kewanee, Illinois until moving to the farm southeast of Farragut, Iowa in 1872. They moved from the farm into town to a house they built in 1895.

Aunt Clara writes of the move in her autobiography, and the house still stands as of the year 2000 on the northeast corner of Webster and Jackson in Farragut, Iowa. This is the house my mother Helen Newton grew up in after her parents died, and it was the house Aunts Clara, Addie, and Sarah lived in until their deaths. It was the house we went to for family dinners when I was a kid and "The Aunts" were still alive.

JOHN LEGGETT (Barbara's Father)

John Leggett was born in Ireland and he and his family moved to this country in 1837. He farmed while in Ireland. In this country he lived in New York, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and Illinois. He worked in a tannery, and later at weaving. When quite an old man he still owned a small farm. He married Ellen Sloan and BARBARA ANN was born May 14, 1839 in Ransellorville N.Y. They moved to Philadelphia in 1844, where he worked at weaving ingrained carpet, and then west to Weathersfield, Illinois in 1855. In those times the great Quaker city had only one line of street cars and the omnibus drawn by horses was the chief means of traffic.